Monday, January 28, 2019

The Spirit of Experimentation.

Salesiano is a hive of activity and celebration, which we have been welcomed into with such warmth and enthusiasm. 

Merce my mentor here, is an energetic and passionate teacher, with 14 years of experience at this school. Each day she encourages me, and helps me understand my new surroundings. She often reminds me that we are all here to learn from one another...student to teacher, teacher to student and teacher to teacher. I am trying to carry this sentiment with me...observing and absorbing, but not just repeating what I see. 

This month is all about the spirit of experimentation. As a new teacher you can feel insecure. You may want to copy what you see, to be on the safe side. Or you may hold back from trying new,  untested and high energy activities, for fear of loss of control and combustion. I am trying to challenge these tendencies and see this as the ultimate opportunity to test-drive my half grown ideas. So far its paying off. 

This week I have entered my students into "The Worlds Worst Cake Competition 2019", they have strutted down the catwalk in my clothes, designed Super-Banana heroes that can peel their own skin and made Cubist faces in cardboard.

Its been fun.
Lets do it again sometime. 


1 comment: