Thursday, February 14, 2019

You Donkey.






  •              Si sabrá mas el discipulo? (Might not the pupil know more?)

I saw this etching on Saturday, its by the famous Spanish artist Fransisco De Goya. The thought "Might not the pupil know more?" has stayed with me this week. When your trying to navigate 25 pupils, you can easily become overwhelmed and totally forget to appreciate the strange, beautifully expressive qualities of each child. You gotta ground your feet, keep your cool and enjoy the lessons your giving each other. What's it all about if not?

Some key lessons I'm learning:

1) Make it kinaesthetic. They need to move, so harvest that energy. 
2) Experiment with nomination techniques- give them alphabet letters and number cards. Keep them on their toes. 
3) Learn their names quickly. (I didn't and it would have made life so much sweeter)
4) Speak less. Gesture more! 
5) Don't explain....SHOW 

P.S. This experience has opened an exciting door for me. I will return to Spain in March and work with Language Kingdom as an activities leader in language immersion camps. That means teaching English via games and activities and spending springtime outside walking, surfing and chasing children. Enough said.

P.P.S I'm a big fan of donkeys, there affectionate and resilient. I reckon teachers could learn a thing or two from donkeys. 

La Burra es mi maestra.




No comments:

Post a Comment